Funding requests:
Annual Budget Request Form
One-time Funding Request Form

1. Funding of Routine Association Business:

Routine Association expenditures are authorized by the SUNYLA Council. Individual officers may authorize the expenditure of up to $200 of Association funds in carrying out Association business without Council or Board approval. In such cases, the officer must notify the Treasurer in writing that a bill has been authorized.They must send an original bill with their authorization letter; or a scanned image of the bill if submitting electronically. All routine expenditures over $200 must be recommended by a vote of the Executive Board and approved by a vote of the Council. NOTE: This is the sum anticipated to cover most routine travel expenses and supplies. The officers may collectively approve an emergency expenditure of up to $500 without Council approval. When the officers approve an expenditure outside an official Board meeting, the President should send the Treasurer a memo stating the amount of the expenditure, its purpose and the method by which it was approved.

2. Funding for Special Projects:

Association projects which require funding of less than $100 may be approved by the officers. Projects which require funding of more than $100 must be recommended by the Executive Board and approved by the Council.

3. Reimbursement for Travel:

a. Eligibility: Elected officers (see Article V of the Bylaws for a definition) as well as the Technology User Group Chair are eligible for reimbursement for travel expenses incurred while carrying out Association business. Business of the Association is defined as attendance at committee and/or Board meetings and as representing the Association at other meetings. Those eligible for travel reimbursement should seek funding from their local unit before requesting reimbursement from the Association. The Association shall appropriate funds each fiscal year for the reimbursement of officer travel. If there are no funds appropriated by the Council, no requests for such reimbursement may be fulfilled. Others traveling on behalf of the Association, whether they are members or not, are eligible for travel funds if the expenditure is approved by the Executive Board.

b. Amount of funding allowed: People should travel using the cheapest practical means, including automobile, bus, train or airplane. When a personal automobile is used, reimbursement is funded at the current IRS standard rate; toll and parking charges will be reimbursed in full. Reimbursement for taxi, bus, train and airplane fares are reimbursed in full if funds are available. Lodging will be reimbursed for the annual conference up to $200 total per elected officer. Lodging may be reimbursed at official GSA per diem rates for other Association business requiring more than three hours of driving time. Lodging expenses in excess of the per diem rate are the responsibility of the individual. Meals are not generally reimbursed unless they are a part of the event and are also at official GSA per diem rates.

c. Prior approval: If a person who is eligible for reimbursement of travel expenses is unable to travel without prior payment, a travel bill may be paid in advance. In order to receive prepayment, an eligible member must submit a bill or registration form for the entire amount to the Treasurer.

d. Limitations: Association funds disbursed for travel expenses shall not exceed 35% of the Association’s annual income without approval of the Council. The Council may vote to change this percentage.

e. Submitting for travel reimbursement: When submitting expenses for travel, always include original receipts for lodging, tolls, parking, and taxi, bus, train, or airplane fares; scanned images of receipts are acceptable if submitting electronically. Those seeking reimbursement for travel expenses have 10 business days from the final day of travel to submit their requests to the Treasurer.

4. Fiscal Year:

The Association’s fiscal year shall be from January 1 to December 31. New allocations are typically requested and approved at the September Council meeting.

5. Annual Conference:

The Second Vice President has full and complete responsibility for the SUNYLA Annual Conference.

a. They are responsible for establishing a checking account (Conference Account) for paying all Conference expenses.

b. At the September Executive Board and Council meetings, the 2nd Vice President shall request seed money for initial Conference expenses. Upon Council’s approval, the Treasurer will write a check for the amount approved. If needed, the Treasurer will pay the initial bills for the Conference before registration money is received and deposited into the Conference Account.

c. The Second Vice President pays all other expenses unless the Conference expenses exceed the cash receipts. If expenses exceed receipts, all original unpaid bills must be transferred to the Treasurer for payment.

d. No Council authorization is required for the payment of these bills.

e. There are separate guidelines established by the Council for the reimbursement and funding of Annual Conference participants such as speakers, panel members, etc. These guidelines are reviewed annually by the Second Vice President and any changes are presented to the Council for approval.

f. The Second Vice President is responsible for keeping a file of the Conference Committee’s original bills and for recording all of the Committee’s expenditures and cash receipts. When the Conference is over, the Second Vice President will close the Conference Account and return the remaining funds to the Treasurer to be deposited into the general account. All Conference Account records, including all original cash receipts and bills, should be turned over to the Treasurer so they are available for audit.

g. The Second Vice President must also submit a final written report to the Council regarding the Conference.

6. Submitting Requests for Payment to the SUNYLA Treasurer:

When submitting requests for the payment of routine Association expenses, one may either:

a. Have the firm send a bill directly to the Treasurer. Notify the Treasurer in writing that the bill should be expected.

b. Receive the bill and forward it with a written explanation to the Treasurer for payment.

c. Pay the bill and send a receipted copy of the bill and a written explanation to the Treasurer requesting reimbursement. Please remember that when the Treasurer writes a check, they must have adequate documentation that money was expended for the Association’s business. A note saying “I paid $25.00 for postage” is not sufficient; please obtain a receipt or a receipted bill for all expenses. If you have questions, please contact the Treasurer.

d. Scanned images of receipts and bills are acceptable if submitting electronically.


Revised 3/24/2023