Author Topic: 1st VP Report  (Read 1900 times)

AprilDavies

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1st VP Report
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »
Attached and below
----------------------------------

SUNYLA 1st VP Report
June 15, 2011

Activities since the March meeting:
1.   Finalized the Delegate Toolkit. Now online at www.sunyla.org/delegate_toolkit. Enhancements such as an events calendar have been requested. I’ll leave that to our incoming VP and the Web Manager to work out. Personally, I think some sort of widget would be a good approach.
2.   Attended SCLD Spring Conference (in Cooperstown) along with Angela. A lot of time was spent on possible action items for the new strategic plan. Another hot topic was the reconfiguration of the SUNYConnect Advisory Council (SAC). I think the resulting structure should work well and I’m very pleased that SUNYLA will continue to have a place in it.
3.   While at SCLD, I had some good discussions with Mary Donohue (the new SCLD Chair) and some of the other directors regarding the role their subordinates (for lack of a better term)— realizing that this is where the next batch of directors are going to come from, that we are the on-the-ground experts that will have to make their plans work, etc. While the relationship between our two groups has occasionally been strained in the past, I’m glad to say that there seems to be a growing openness in SCLD with regard to voice of the rank and file. 
4.   Which brings me to an opportunity for cooperation. Through Logan Rath, SUNYLA has been approached by the UB Library School about partnering “with the SUNY Librarians Association to devise or amplify a continuing education program for SUNY librarians.” I’ve had some email discussions with Logan, Angela, and Rosanne and we all agree that this has potential. Angela suggested bringing SCLD into the mix and Mary Donohue was enthusiastic about the idea when I contacted her. It’s part of the reason that she’ll be visiting our meeting at the conference.

Being 1st VP this past year has interesting to say the least. A lot of people have asked me if I’m looking forward to being President. My answer remains the same—maybe. Some days I can’t wait to get going and some days I can’t believe I let myself get talked into it. All in all, I think it will be good. We’ve got a great group of people on the Council and in SUNYLA as a whole. Working together, I really do think it will be good.

ACTION ITEM FOR THE MEETING: Discuss the UB continuing ed idea and decide how we wish to proceed.

Respectfully submitted,
April C. Davies