Author Topic: Personnel Policies Committee  (Read 117 times)

HeatherStalter

• View Profile
Personnel Policies Committee
« on: June 12, 2023, 02:12:43 PM »

The Committee met on May 16 to review the draft questions for the Stay Survey.  The questions are divided into six very rough categories:
•   demographic/background
•   personal/professional
•   why stay
•   job satisfaction/work environment
•   future plans
•   remediation/suggestions

Before condensing the 50-some questions to a more manageable number, we will run this full list by the reviewers for their initial input first.

We are grateful for the nine people who have expressed interest in reviewing and beta testing the survey.  I emailed them on June 12, so if you’re interested and didn’t get the email, please let me know (heather.stalter@oneonta.edu).  Also please pass along my contact info to anyone else who might be interested.  We would love to have as many reviewers as possible to make sure that this survey is valuable, inclusive, safe, and practical. 

After we get all the draft questions into the SUNYLA account google form, I’ll be in touch again with the reviewers. 

From Logan’s suggestion, I’ve also been in contact with Carrie Fishner, who is leading the Promotion and Tenure Committee, to minimize duplication of effort.  She has offered to meet with me and I sent her the list of draft questions. 

I also sent the questions to Jim Neal, University Librarian Emeritus at Columbia University, as his initial input on the SUNYLA Exit Survey led the committee to consider a stay survey instead of an exit survey.  (I contacted him after his CALM session on employee turnover; see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrcSykmr6xk).  From his input, a number of thoughts and questions arise:
•   He suggests that the number of questions be shortened (agreed)
•   Should we work with SUNY IRB?  If there is such a thing, who would I contact?  Have other SUNYLA Surveys gone through such a process?
•   Should the survey focus on just librarians?  If we want to expand it, is one survey instrument sufficient to cover all categories of staff: librarian, CSEA, professional, administrator, etc.?  If so, input from reviewers in each category seems necessary. 

Our next two meetings are June 27 and July 11 at 10am through Teams.  Anyone is welcome to join us – let me know and I’ll send you the link. 

Respectfully submitted,
Heather Stalter
heather.stalter@oneonta.edu

« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 02:15:35 PM by HeatherStalter »