Author Topic: President's Report  (Read 52 times)

Bill Jones

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Library Staff Page
President's Report
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »
Hello, SUNYLA!

Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your SUNYLA President again!  I am incredibly humbled and grateful for the opportunity to serve you in this role.

Our upcoming meeting schedule for the year is as follows:

November 8, 2019: University at Albany (changed from Nov. 15)
January 17, 2020: Fashion Institution of Technology
March 27, 2020: Mohawk Valley Community College
June 17, 2020: Mohawk Valley Community College

Thank you to everyone who made SUNYLA 2019 such a successful and inspiring conference.  There were many excellent conference sessions, conversations, connections, and meals had at SUNYLA 2019, in addition to a great keynote by Jason Schmitt (known for his documentary, "Paywall:  The Business of Scholarship").  You can find that documentary on YouTube at this link:

https://youtu.be/HM_nWsdbNvQ

At SUNYLA 2019, Thursday night’s dinner included catered Dinosaur BBQ, homemade ice cream by Gannons Isle Ice Cream, and many fun games including a life-sized Scrabble board, an Escape Room, and a putt-putt miniature golf course in the library!  Each golf hole had a special theme, and I especially liked the Dr. Seuss themed golf hole and the glow-in-the-dark portion of the course through the library stacks.  At the Thursday night dinner, the Friend of SUNYLA Award was presented to SUNY Shared Library Services Platform Director, Shannon Pritting.  I’m very much looking forward to SUNYLA 2020 at Mohawk Valley Community College, led by SUNYLA’s 2nd Vice President/Conference Chair, Jocelyn Ireland.

A shout out and congratulations to everyone going live on Primo and Alma!  This was a challenging process, and we all managed to get there together.  Thank you to everyone involved!

On Thursday, September 19th, I met with April Broughton to discuss Vice President responsibilities and a few internal projects for the future (please see their post):

http://sunyla.org/forums/index.php?topic=900.0

Last year, Carol Anne and I created a set of Google Drive folders to contain various Toolkits for Executive Board members.  This year, I started filling in some of the Toolkits with documents that I have created in the past, including an agenda for the Annual Conference New Member Meeting, a template for the Conference Lunch welcome speech, the Delegate Health Checklist, and other helpful documents.  I found it very helpful to talk about roles and responsibilities with April Broughton in order to identify which information would be most helpful to include in these folders.  We will continue to fill in these Toolkits with more information as we move forward.

I will be attending the SUNY Libraries Consortium meeting on Tuesday, October 15 – Wednesday, October 16 in Saratoga Springs, NY with April Broughton.  This meeting has a full agenda (please see attached - login required).  We will report out what we learn from the meeting at our next Council Meeting on November 8th at UAlbany.  I hope to see you there!

Respectfully yours,
Bill Jones