Author Topic: TDG Report  (Read 550 times)

jlocascio

• View Profile
TDG Report
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
Virtual Conference:
The SUNYLA midwinter virtual conference, Practical OER: Transitioning from Theory to Implementation, is Friday February 2. For more information and to register (for free!) go here:
http://sunyla.org/sunyla-midwinter-2018/

Online voting:
TDG has been looking into ways to make voting in SUNYLA elections easier and we may have found it. 
ElectionRunner (https://electionrunner.com/) is a service that is pay-per-election with the following payment plans:
•   20 voters is free
•   100 voters is $15
•   300 voters is $29

It offers the following:
•   Send the URL for the election out in an email
•   Pick a start and end date for the election
•   Send receipts that the vote’s been counted
•   Hide the results from the administrator until after the voting is finished
•   Multiple choice with options appearing randomly
•   Allows write-ins if we want
•   We can import voters in a CSV file

There are a couple of issues that we may need to discuss before deciding for sure:
•   We have to make sure we use the proper data formatting headings, etc.) when importing the CSV file
•   The Voter Identifier (Voter ID) is what can be considered as the Voter's "username". The voter will use this field when logging in to vote for your election. This field is not required, and if left blank a random value will be generated. A voter's Voter ID must be unique in your election.
•   The Voter Key is what can be considered as the Voter's "password". The voter will use this field when logging in to vote for your election. This field is not required, and if left blank a random value will be generated.

If anyone wants to take place in a mock election so we can see it in action on the free platform before purchasing I’ll take some volunteers.

Slack:
The TDG Slack group is going strong at 99 members. Of that number there are probably only 10 of us who are active. I think that those of us who use Slack can attest to its efficiency and usefulness but the issue is that if you don’t already use it, it can be a little difficult to incorporate it into your daily workflow.  The people who have it installed as an app fare better because then it’s always running and you don’t have to remember to go “check” it.

I’ve looked into ways to send an email blast to everyone using Slack just so I can do monthly reminders/updates from within the platform but the two “apps” or “bots” I’ve looked into don’t seem to be sufficient.  One can only send emails to a maximum of 3 recipients at a time and also, you have to manually write each recipients email address.  The other one allows you to just @ the person who is on Slack that you want to email but only allows email to one person at a time.  If anyone else knows how to do this I’m all ears.

Additionally, I just wanted to remind those who are in the group that we have multiple channels so when you do log-in click on “channels” on the left hand side of the screen and you can see which channels you can join.