Author Topic: President's Report  (Read 352 times)

cfishner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
President's Report
« on: January 22, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
Hello 2018!

There has been a lot of preparation work going on throughout SUNYLA over the last few months. This year's SUNYLA Midwinter Virtual Conference, Practical OER: Transitioning from Theory to Implementation, will be taking place on Friday February 2nd from 10am-3:30 pm. It looks like we have another great slate of programs, with some coming from out of state as well! Many of our libraries are heavily involved in OER on their campuses and this is a great way to highlight what is happening. This conference has grown quite a bit in the last few years, and is another feather for SUNYLA's cap on how we are supporting our library colleagues.

Our 2018 Conference Planning Committee has also been hard at work. This year's theme is "Throw Open Our Doors: Academic Librarians Open to New Experiences, Opinions, and Viewpoints", and the call for conference proposals went out a few weeks ago, with a deadline of February 9, 2018. Check out the conference website here for more information: https://sunyla2018.wordpress.com/

Patrick Callahan will be attending this week's meeting and providing updates from the SLC. Some of the current priorities there are the search for an Executive Director, and the LSP adoption/migration process. December's one day meeting in Albany provided many updates on these issues, and things appear to be moving smoothly. This year, the SLC will be having it's spring meeting separate from our annual conference - at last year's meeting we decided to shoot for a joined conference every other year. I will be attending the spring meeting in April.
Elections for SUNYLA will be coming up in April, so if you are considering getting more involved, I would encourage you to ask our current or prior E-Board members about their experiences, and to check out the duties on the SUNYLA website (www.sunyla.org ). This year we will be electing a First VP/President Elect, 2nd VP/Conference Chair, and Secretary. Getting involved is a great way to expand your knowledge of the SUNY Libraries, create lasting relationships across SUNY, and to add to your own leadership skills. If you are not quite ready to jump in to the E-Board, please consider joining a standing committee.

I am very interested in the possibility of creating an ad hoc committee to help those who are preparing for and going through the promotion and tenure processes. As many of you realize, SUNY Librarians are lacking in getting colleagues to the full Librarian status. To achieve this we need to work to help each other, and I am putting out a call for those who would be willing to serve. This group would work to provide support, advice, and programming (through the conference or online) to help colleagues prepare their portfolios. If you are interested, please complete the form linked here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf16jwXmiIUwceoXwMmusJ0ik6GRYFhtkTA3qvhYYwbJo3ZbQ/viewform