Author Topic: PDC Report  (Read 1752 times)

Kfrazier

• View Profile
PDC Report
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
The PDC met virtually on 12/2/13 and 3/10/14. In addition, Justina and I organized a virtual meeting   on 3/7/14 with several SUNYLA members who responded to our call regarding participating/creating a mentorship program. The following topics were covered:

I. Professional Development Grants Subcommittee (Susan Perry, Chair)

Three $500 grants have been awarded to date.  The most recent recipient is Curt Friechs from SUNY Old Westbury.  Trudi Jacobson (UA Albany) was awarded a grant in December and Catherine Dillon (Binghamton) was awarded a grant in July.

B. Conference Awards (Kathyrn Johns-Masten, Chair)

Dan Kissane Scholarship
The subcommittee brainstormed ideas for drumming up more applicants. Kathryn posted an announcement on the SUNYLA listserv on March 18th, 2014.

Sylvia Chu Memorial Scholarship
Kathyrn posted an announcement on the SUNYLA listserv on March 10, 2014.

C. Friends of SUNYLA (Greg Bobbish)
The Friends of SUNYLA webpage has been updated and Greg sent out a call for nominations on the SUNYLA listserv.

II. Funding/Annual Requests

Additional funding may be needed for the Professional Development Grants Program.
Justina and I would like to ask the Executive Board for recommendations regarding requesting funding since fiscal the year ends in June.

III. Mentoring Program

A virtual meeting was held on March 7, 2014 and an Ad hoc committee was formed.
Proposals for the program include:

•   Three tracks: Tenure (Match Senior faculty with Junior faculty); Administrative (Match Managers/Directors with Middle Management will solicit the help of SCOLD to do so) and Support/Professional (Match Senior library staff with Junior library staff).

•   The committee will set up general guidelines that will also include a time limit.

•   Steps to get started will include creating a Google Form. A call for mentees and mentors will provide applicants with a link to the form.

•   If all goes well with the planning, we will plan a meet-up session at SUNYLA.

IV. Meeting

Our next meeting will be held during SUNYLA 2014.

Respectfully submitted,
Katrina Frazier