Author Topic: President's Report  (Read 2642 times)

AprilDavies

• Administrator
    • View Profile
President's Report
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
Attached and below.

--April

----------------------------------------

SUNYLA President’s Report
September 23, 2011

Several things have occupied my attention since our June meeting:
•   Working with N.J. Wolfe to secure FIT as the 2012 conference site. I’m glad we’ll be downstate again and I think Manhattan will prove to be a great location.

•   Working with SCLD. The SCLD Executive Board has had two conference calls since June. The main topics of discussion have been strategic plan implementation, the content fee proposal, and the future of NYSHEI now that ARIA has been killed. SCLD will be meeting October 5-6 in Utica and I imagine these items will be discussed in much greater detail then.

•   Appointing people to various things. It feels like there were a lot of them but it was only four, some of which still need formal approval: Sarah Morehouse (2nd VP, already approved); Kimmy Szeto (LACUNY Liaison); Logan Rath and myself (SCC/SFC liaisons); Logan Rath (Continuing Ed ad hoc).

•   Listening and talking. There are some interesting things happening in our libraries and in SUNY as a whole. Some good, some not so much. In particular, the “Campus Alliance Networks” initiative has people nervous and wondering what this will mean for their campuses and their libraries. Here at SUNY Cobleskill, so far, it means sharing a president with Delhi. For Cobleskill, for now, this is a good thing. That doesn’t mean that the same arrangement is good for other schools. That has to be assessed at those schools. In my personal opinion, there are some problems, many of which stem from how this whole thing was handled by SUNY. For the libraries, again using Cobleskill as the example since that’s where I am, we’re trying to be proactive and make sure that any cooperative efforts come from us and not from administration. Which brings me to something that came up in conversation with a librarian from a different campus the other day… SUNYConnect is being used as an example of the good that can come from cooperation, as well it should. However, the thing that has made SUNYConnect a success is that it came from us. It came from the libraries and our desire to provide the best possible service and resources to our users, and if we saved money in the process, great. SUNYConnect did not come from campus or SUNY administration saying that we need to cut costs and here’s what you’re going to do. If SUNY wants to hold us up as a shining example of cooperative effort leading to collective good, then they should actually follow our example. Make it easier for us to work together rather than mandating how we do so and you’ll get a much better result.

So, what’s coming up in the next few months? Here’s what I know of so far:
•   SCLD Fall Meeting Oct. 5-6 in Utica
•   NYLA Conference Nov. 4 in Saratoga Springs (I’m only going for one day but I plan to carry my SUNYLA travel mug around with me all day!)
•   Meet with you lovely people again Nov. 16 in Manhattan :)
•   NYSHEI Summit on Advocacy for Academic and Research Libraries Dec. 8 in Albany

ACTION ITEMS FOR THE MEETING:
•   Confirm appointments
•   Funding for officer travel (forgot to do this in June, oops)

Respectfully submitted,
April C. Davies

John Schumacher

• View Profile
Re: President's Report
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
Hello April,

Thanks for your report.  In my view, you make excellent points in your -listening and talking- section.  I carved that out to share with folks here right away.  Including putting it in front of Carey.
John