Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - jlocascio

Pages: [1] 2
June 12, 2019 Council Meeting @ Onondaga (Annual) / Metro Report
« on: June 11, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
Nothing to report.

June 12, 2019 Council Meeting @ Onondaga (Annual) / TDG Report
« on: June 11, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »
TDG will be meeting at SUNYLA during the SIG/Committee meetings at 4:45 on Wednesday, June 12.  We will be discussing the role of TDG and our Slack channel in a post go-live Alma/Primo world.

January 18, 2019 Council Meeting @ FIT / Metro report
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
Nothing to report at this time.

January 18, 2019 Council Meeting @ FIT / TDG Report
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
The SUNYLA Midwinter Virtual Conference, Moving to Alma/Primo VE: Hindsight is 20/20, will be taking place Friday, February 1 from 10 - 3:30. We are anticipating that this will be a very well attended conference, as institutions from other countries have reached out asking if it will be recorded (it will!). The conference sessions consist of presentations from a variety of people who have implemented Alma/Primo VE who will share what they learned in the process and each session focuses on a different area of Alma/Primo VE.  We are very excited to bring this free conference back for another year.

Registration links can be found here:

And also on the SUNYLA website, which includes a full run down of the sessions.

November 2, 2018 Council Meeting @ Delhi / TDG Report
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »
The Midwinter Virtual Conference committee has convened and decided that this year's conference theme is going to be "Moving to Alma/Primo VE: Hindsight is 20/20." The conference will be held on Friday, February 1, 2019 from 10:00 - 2:30 and as always is free.  The Call for Proposals will be coming soon.

Slack is still going strong at 103 members.  In the future I see it being a good place to talk about Alma stuff post implementation so participation is encouraged.

June 13, 2018 Council Meeting @ FLCC (Annual) / TDG Report
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
SUNYLA's first online election was a success!

We had a 61% participation rate (144/235 voters).

March 23, 2018 Council Meeting @ FLCC / TDG Report
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
The mock election using Electionrunner was a success and the software does everything that we need it to do.  I recommend we move forward with purchasing it for the SUNYLA election. The cost for 300 voters is $29.

SUNYLA midwinter was on February 2 went well. We got a lot of great feedback from participants who like the set-up of the event. Overall we had 278 registered.

March 23, 2018 Council Meeting @ FLCC / Metro Report
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:21 PM »
Metro’s next symposium will be May 31 – June 1 and is titled: (Mis)informed: Propaganda, Disinformation, Misinformation, and Our Culture
They are currently accepting submissions for the symposium and will be through  Friday, April 13.

Learn more and submit a proposal at:

January 26, 2018 Council Meeting @ FIT / TDG Report
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
Virtual Conference:
The SUNYLA midwinter virtual conference, Practical OER: Transitioning from Theory to Implementation, is Friday February 2. For more information and to register (for free!) go here:

Online voting:
TDG has been looking into ways to make voting in SUNYLA elections easier and we may have found it. 
ElectionRunner ( is a service that is pay-per-election with the following payment plans:
•   20 voters is free
•   100 voters is $15
•   300 voters is $29

It offers the following:
•   Send the URL for the election out in an email
•   Pick a start and end date for the election
•   Send receipts that the vote’s been counted
•   Hide the results from the administrator until after the voting is finished
•   Multiple choice with options appearing randomly
•   Allows write-ins if we want
•   We can import voters in a CSV file

There are a couple of issues that we may need to discuss before deciding for sure:
•   We have to make sure we use the proper data formatting headings, etc.) when importing the CSV file
•   The Voter Identifier (Voter ID) is what can be considered as the Voter's "username". The voter will use this field when logging in to vote for your election. This field is not required, and if left blank a random value will be generated. A voter's Voter ID must be unique in your election.
•   The Voter Key is what can be considered as the Voter's "password". The voter will use this field when logging in to vote for your election. This field is not required, and if left blank a random value will be generated.

If anyone wants to take place in a mock election so we can see it in action on the free platform before purchasing I’ll take some volunteers.

The TDG Slack group is going strong at 99 members. Of that number there are probably only 10 of us who are active. I think that those of us who use Slack can attest to its efficiency and usefulness but the issue is that if you don’t already use it, it can be a little difficult to incorporate it into your daily workflow.  The people who have it installed as an app fare better because then it’s always running and you don’t have to remember to go “check” it.

I’ve looked into ways to send an email blast to everyone using Slack just so I can do monthly reminders/updates from within the platform but the two “apps” or “bots” I’ve looked into don’t seem to be sufficient.  One can only send emails to a maximum of 3 recipients at a time and also, you have to manually write each recipients email address.  The other one allows you to just @ the person who is on Slack that you want to email but only allows email to one person at a time.  If anyone else knows how to do this I’m all ears.

Additionally, I just wanted to remind those who are in the group that we have multiple channels so when you do log-in click on “channels” on the left hand side of the screen and you can see which channels you can join.

January 26, 2018 Council Meeting @ FIT / Metro Report
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »
Instead of their annual conference, METRO is trying something new this year and is hosting a series of symposia to discuss pressing issues in our field, starting with a day-and-a-half long conversation on Libraries in the Context of Capitalism. This event takes place on Thursday, February 1 and Friday, February 2.

For more information and to get tickets go to

November 3, 2017 Council Meeting @ Albany / TDG Report
« on: November 01, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »
The CFP for the annual SUNYLA midwinter virtual conference has just gone out.  This year's theme is "Practical OER: Transitioning from Theory to Implementation".

We're seeking 15-20 minute long presentations that address how OERs have been implemented at your institution, and how the library has been involved with that process.

The conference will be held Friday, February 2 from 10am - 2:30pm.

We are accepting proposals until Friday, December 8, 2017.  Proposals can be submitted here:

Also, we will need to move our Zoom subscription from the IDS account to TDG's in January.

Our Slack site has been seeing some activity so go check it out if you haven't in a while:

If you haven't joined yet but would like to follow this link:

September 18, 2017 Council Meeting @ Delhi / TDG report
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »
The TDG Slack site is slowly gaining members and momentum.  I've started sending monthly updates which provide a brief recap of things that have taken place across the channels. Participation is encouraged!

I spoke to Heidi Webb about the best way of integrating the LSP implementation team with TDG's Slack since there is a lot of overlap. We already have an LSP channel but there will be a lot more people involved with the LSP implementation than there are involved in TDG (i.e. people who are not in part of SUNYLA).  Do we want to have a fairly liberal joining policy for the TDG Slack so there are more opportunities for people interested in discussing the LSP?

There has been conversation related to moving SUNY elections online.  Angela Galvan who is no longer with SUNYLA started a Google Doc (and passed it off to Logan Rath) with some brainstorming ideas this has been shared and is also posted on Slack. I contacted Qualtrics (which was one of the options mentioned on the Google Doc) to see what kind of options they could give us regarding an account that would provide what we needed and they would certainly fit the bill but I'm not sure if we would be able to afford it but we can discuss.

September 18, 2017 Council Meeting @ Delhi / Metro report
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
Metro has settled nicely into their new building is back to providing a variety of innovative programming: various workshops, trainings, and SIG meet-ups. If you have an interesting workshop you’d like to lead there, they are interested in hearing your proposal.

In addition to updating their space, Metro has also updated their web presence, mailing list, and SIG structure.  SIG’s are now announced on  Also, Metrocon will be no more as Metro is instead moving to hosting a series of symposia discussing issues in the field.

From their website:

"In 2018, METRO will host a series of symposia to discuss pressing issues in our field, starting with a day-and-a-half long conversation on Libraries in the Context of Capitalism. Taking place at METRO on Thursday, February 1 and Friday, February 2, this event seeks to unpack the tensions that exist for libraries and archives as cost centers in a neoliberal economic climate.
We’re now accepting presentation proposals on facets of library & archives work as it currently exists within a market economy. Ideas for presentation topics include but are definitely not limited to:

•   Economic systems and their effects on libraries
•   Information as a commodity
•   Student loans and the LIS field
•   The ethics of unpaid internships
•   Money, social power, and class

Please submit your presentation proposals by midnight on Friday, October 13.

We are also seeking individuals who would like to join our planning committee for this event. In addition to reviewing and selecting proposals to be presented day-of, you’ll be asked to provide feedback on how we might build interaction and dialogue into this event. We’re offering a small stipend; please apply here by Friday, September 15".

Check out for details.

June 14, 2017 Council Meeting @ Stony Brook (Annual) / TDG report
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »
We’ve simplified the sign-up process for the Slack group.  Instead of emailing back and forth with me, you just have to go to  That address is also available in the TDG section of the SUNYLA website.

A lot of members of SUNYLA have indicated interest in moving SUNYLA elections online in order to make things easier and hopefully encourage more “turnout”.  Angela Galvan from Geneseo spearheaded this effort and created a Google Doc to look into some options.  A channel in TDG Slack group will be created to further look into this.  All feedback is welcome.

Since Slack itself only provides push notifications to people’s desktops which is not ideal for many, I am planning to send weekly (or bi-weekly or monthly) email notifications to the general channel just to keep people aware of the group’s activity if they do not have a habit of checking in regularly.

June 14, 2017 Council Meeting @ Stony Brook (Annual) / Metro Report
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
Metro has opened their new facility at 599 11th Ave.  It’s a fantastic space and they are looking forward to utilizing it in innovative ways that grow the community.  They had a welcome reception on Thursday June 1.  There are going to be a lot of new interesting things going on there.

You can read more about their re-launch on their newly updated website:

Pages: [1] 2