Financial assistance is available for a library school student to attend the annual SUNY Librarians Association (SUNYLA) conference. The purpose of the Scholarship is to offer an introduction to academic librarianship, provide professional growth opportunities and encourage involvement with SUNYLA.
The Scholarship is a voucher covering:
- Travel (maximum $ 350) and lodging costs
- Registration fees
- Conference meals
You qualify if:
- You are currently enrolled in a New York State ALA-accredited MLS program or its equivalent, OR you are a NYS resident attending an ALA accredited library school online or in another state.
- You have graduated from an MLS program within the last 12 months, but are not yet professionally employed in a library.
To apply: Please provide a letter (1-2 pages) that describes how attending this SUNYLA conference will increase your understanding of the profession. In your letter, include one paragraph that describes a challenge facing academic libraries that you are interested in learning more about.
Suggested topics: archives and special collections, library spaces and services, technology and social media, collection development, open educational resources
The letter will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Clear presentation of why attending this particular conference will benefit the applicant
- Originality and creativity, uniqueness of perspective
- Ideas presented are well supported
- Overall letter quality and tone, including appropriate business letter format
To apply: Please submit your application letter by April 3, 2020, via this online form:
Questions? Contact the Committee Chair:
Monroe Community College
The SUNYLA Scholarship Committee will review the letters and notify the recipient by April 20, 2020.
For more details about the conference visit SUNYLA. If you are applying for a scholarship, please do NOT register for the conference until you receive notification from our committee. You will need to apply a discount code that will be enclosed in your letter of notification if applicable.
Dan Kissane (May 23, 1963-November 19, 2004) was a Reference and Instruction Librarian at SUNY Oneonta’s Milne Library. He was an active and valued member of SUNYLA as well as other associations including the American Library Association. For more information about Dan, please see an article written about him on page 18 of the February 2005 issue of the SUNYLA Newsletter.